Thursday, October 10, 2013

Homemade, Healthy Egg McMuffin Alternative

So I don't often go to McDonalds, but when I do it is for breakfast and I get the a sausage biscuit. I almost always hate myself afterwords (or rather, my body hates me). Fear not! Regret and despair do not have to become a part of your morning routine. That is something I can love! I borrowed this recipe from The Yummy Life, with only slight variations added. It is healthy, quick, and easy to make ahead and pop in the oven or microwave for quick, healthy, filling breakfasts.

Stats:

Time to Make: ~45 minutes
Makes: 12 egg sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Calories: 229
Carbs: 13g
Fat: 14g
Protein: 18g
Sodium: 546g
Sugar: 3g

Ingredients:

  • 12 whole wheat english muffins
  • 12 brown eggs
  • 12 slices of cheese (I used Sargento - Ultra Thin Slices - 45 calories each)
  • 12 turkey sausage patties (I used Jimmy Dean maple turkey), or Canadian bacon
  • Salt & Pepper
  • any veggies you would like to add
Instructions


 (I forgot to add the english muffins in this picture, but each package has 6 muffins, so you will need two if you want to make a dozen.)


 Cook the sausage (or turkey) according to package directions. For the Jimmy Dean turkey sausages, you essentially just heat them up in the pan.



 Crack the eggs into a muffin pan. You can also use any oven-safe container that you have. The goal is to make them patty-shaped so that they fit easily onto the muffin.



Salt and Pepper eggs to taste. The salt is unnecessary because the sausage has a lot in it already. You can also break the egg yolk at this step if you wish to get the yolk to spread around a bit more. For an even healthier alternative, consider egg beaters or egg whites. Next time I make these I will also be adding veggies into this step. If you have any (peppers would be great!) add them here.


Bake the eggs in the oven at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. The longer you leave them in the "harder" they will be, so it is a personal preference. Be sure they are cooked thoroughly.



This is what mine looked like after! 


While the eggs are cooking, split the muffins onto a pan. If you want like them toasted, toast them at this step. I put my muffins in the oven and set it to broil for about 2 minutes. Perfectly toasted! Place the cheese on one side of the muffin and fold in the corners so the cheese doesn't hang over.



Assemble your ingredients!




 Yummmmmm!!!





 Did I mention.....



 That I LOVE my camera!?!?


Once you have assembled your delicious muffins and resisted all temptation to eat them straight away, wrap them up in wax paper or aluminum foil depending on whether you want to reheat them by microwave or oven. Throw them in the freezer, and enjoy the next 2 weeks of delicious, quick, and easy grab-and-go breakfast! I had one of these for dinner (couldn't resist!) and it was delicious. I recommend microwaving them for 1-2 minutes at full power.

Another tip: Add any fresh veggies that you don't wish to freeze when you are heating them up. I will probably eat mine with spinach and maybe tomato. They would be good with sauce as well! 


 Bonus shot of the freezer. My roommate is a food pack-rat. With at poorly as she eats, she must have some interesting bathroom visits! (The only thing that is mine in this freezer is the flatbread pizza, turkey burgers, ground turkey, and chicken.


 And because by this point I was having fun with my camera, here is a shot of my shelf in the pantry! Lots of good food here :)


Yes, these are 4 large boxes of donuts that my roommate inexplicably has on the counter! 


My dinner :) 



I hope you enjoy! Leave a comment if you tried them and have any suggestions or if you did something differently. I'd love to hear! My next recipe with likely be either turkey chili or flatbread BBQ chicken pizza. I may also make some pumpkin-honey beer bread this weekend! Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment